Learning Piano From the Sound Up
Ears Tuned. Hands On.
Charlie engages kids' natural curiosity, nurtures their love of music, and helps them learn the skills for a lifetime of joyful piano playing.
Kids who take lessons with Charlie will learn to...
- play the piano with artistry and skill.
- practice with passion and enthusiasm.
- read music fluently.
- improvise creatively.
- create original arrangements of music they love.
- compose their own music and write their own songs
Kids learn best when...
- lessons are fast paced and fun. Each hour includes multiple pieces, exercises, and activities.
- they're playing music they love. Lessons with Charlie are customized to take advantage of each student's talents, tastes, and learning styles.
- they can share what they've learned. Student recitals give kids the opportunity to to perform for an enthusiastic and supportive audience of family and friends.
Piano lessons with Charlie feature...
- the convenience of home visits. Kids learn best in a comfortable environment and home visits make it easy for kids to relax and focus on making music.
- access to Improvilirium!, Charlie's unique resource for improvisation, ear training, and music theory. Kids want to know how music works and Improvilirium! makes it happen.
Charlie's students benefit from...
- Charlie's fluency and interest across a broad range of musical styles and genres. Kids' abilities and tastes change over time; Charlie makes sure their musical education grows along with them.
- Charlie's skills as a songwriter and composer. Kids love to create; Charlie helps them learn how to compose their own music and write their own songs.
- Charlie's 30 years of private lesson and classroom teaching experience. Kids flourish in a rich and responsive learning environment; Charlie is committed to helping kids realize their full musical potential.
Improvisation and The Art of Play
Kids improvise all day, every day. With so much to discover about the world, they rely on their curiosity, creativity, and enthusiasm to make sense of it all. For kids, the art of play is central to the art of learning. The study of improvisation inspires kids to treat the piano as a playful co-conspirator in an open ended journey of musical self-discovery.
Kids who study improvisation with Charlie will learn how to...
- hear essential patterns and relationships in the music they love.
- understand the structure behind the sound.
- improvise at the piano and experience the thrill of being able to create their own great music.
Improvilirium! and The Art of Learning
Improvilirium! The Beginning Pianist's Comprehensive Guide to the Joyful Art of Improvisation is a unique resource for beginning pianists of all ages. Distilling insights and strategies from master improvisers and featuring over 300 original songs, etudes, and exercises, Improvilirium! teaches students to trust their ears, "think" with their hands, and play from the heart.
The Convenience of Piano Lessons in Your Home
With home visits, you spend less time behind the wheel and your child spends more time playing piano. Because lessons take place in your home, Charlie can offer your child observations and advice that are specific to the piano he or she plays every day. In addition, home visits ensure weekly communication between parents and teacher and promote regular attendance and continuity of instruction.
Charlie offers, at no additional charge, home visits in Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Cambridge, and nearby communities in the Boston, Massachusetts area. Lessons are also available at Charlie's studio in Jamaica Plain. Home visits outside of Jamaica Plain, Brookline, and Cambridge may be subject to additional charges.
- that the art of play is central to the art of learning.
- that improvisation, ear training, and music theory are core elements of a great musical education.
- that great musicianship grows from love, patience, and perseverance..
- that great music is defined by the authenticity and passion we bring to it.
- that lessons taught with creativity, conviction, and a sense of humor create passionate and joyful musicians.